Thursday, April 17, 2008

Been a While

So, I haven't written in over a month. The temper of our group has not changed much nor has my opinion of this distance education experience in project-based learning. Constructivist activities like this are all the buzz in education right now, but what it comes down to is just a different face for little willingness to think, apply, or create anything new. What started out for me as an exciting place for personal growth has become defeating. The other members of my group are, at this point, only concerned about meeting requirements and getting finished. We have accomplished little that required a real, cohesive group experience. Even the summary that we wrote for the front page of our Wiki, remains disjointed and fractured, just as our group has been. I will post a few discussions that I have had with other group members just to illustrate the conflict that goes on in these situations, but all-in-all I have given up. Except to work on my individual contribution, and help the others when asked, I am holding on to the ideas with Second Life and The Paperless Classroom. We could have presented our project in Second Life, and we would have atleast been different in our delivery method, but oh well.

This is an interesting site on rubrics: http://www.alfiekohn.org/teaching/rubrics.htm
I was in support of them until this experience. With this project they have been used only to "make sure we've covered everything" and take all the creativity and originality out of the project. Look for the conversations...

Until next time.

No comments: